Wednesday, June 24, 2009

One of ... things

One of the weird things about being a foreign scientist is that people assume you can always go back and teach what you learned in your own country. However, I did my bachelors and subsequent degrees in the United States, so I stumble for the right terminology every time someone asks me for a modicum of detail on my research...

One of the frustrating things about being a foreign scientist is that people are too nice to correct my pronunciation when it is wrong. Now, I do have an accent and there is not much I can do about it. I don't even hear the accent (but others do) so it is very difficult to correct it. This means of course that I must impose on other people to try to understand it. But when I grossly mispronounce words due to wrong stress or other chance such as having the wrong vowel, and it is a casual conversation setting, why won't people do the "by the way it is pronounced this way". The politeness doesn't help -- instead, I think I am pronouncing the word correctly and reinforce the bad habit...

One of the annoying things about being a foreign scientist is the comment "it was in good enough English seeing how you are foreign" followed by no suggestion for improvement on the language. I'd like my papers, talks, etc. to be clear, understandable and good, not just good enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment